The government has confirmed that UK drivers will likely need a Green Card to drive their vehicles in the EU, including the Republic of Ireland following the UK’s departure from the EU on the 1st of January 2021.

A Green Card is an international certificate of motor insurance and you will need to get this from your insurance provider before you travel.

If you plan on taking a trailer this will also need to have a Green Card to ensure it is covered as all vehicles and trailers will need proof of insurance.

The government have also advised that drivers will need to display GB stickers in the rear of any vehicle or trailer they are driving in the EU. These will be needed even if the number plates have a GB identifier on them.

If you want more information on travelling abroad and what you’ll need to take with you we’ve got a guide that covers travelling with a lease vehicle and the key things you’ll need to do and have.  Alternatively, you can look at the government’s website for general information on travelling in the EU post-Brexit.

Leave a Comment

Enter the text you see in the image in the form field above.
If you cannot read the text, refresh the page.
* required fields

Peace of Mind

Check out one of our helpful guides or our explaination of leasing to get all your questions answered.

View our FAQsGuides

Latest News

Get the latest news and blog posts from us.

View all News

Your Guide To Car Leasing

You can unsubscribe at any time

Lease Plan